Deadline: 08/07/2022 11:59 p.m. Pacific
Full job description and OFFICIAL application available ONLY here.
PLEASE NOTE: Interviews are scheduled for this position between mid and late July; a brief pedagogical demonstration will be required during the interview.
Starting salary scale: $60,189 to $92,390 per year, salary placement determined by documented education and experience; the maximum initial salary step placement on the faculty salary scale is step 9. An annual doctoral stipend of $4,018 is awarded to eligible faculty.
Great benefits, including low-cost quality health insurance for you and your family! Our comprehensive benefits package includes medical, dental, life, short and long term and vision insurance (optional) provided on a cost-share basis on a pre-tax basis, CalSTRS retirement and an employee assistance program . Depending on health plan choices, in many cases full-time employees’ net outlays for benefit premiums can be as low as $0. Please see the Benefits link on the HR webpage for more information.
The description: This full-time and temporary contract instructor for the 2022-2023 academic year in accordance with Ed code 87481/82 will benefit from a work schedule of 175 days. The position begins Monday, August 22, 2022 pending Governing Board ratification. Classes may take place in a traditional “in-class” setting, online, or in a scheduled hybrid format during the summer and/or winter months, and at various locations on campus, including days, evenings and / or weekends.
We are looking for a Graphic Design Generalist with a broad knowledge of print, web and interface design who has the skills to play a leadership role in the department and teach a wide range of courses in the strengths and areas of candidate’s specific interests, including but not limited to: web design, web development, interface design, graphic design and typography principles, digital imaging, digital illustration, animation /moving image, self-promotion and marketing. Candidate should have deep technical knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator and be very proficient in HTML/CSS. WordPress, Adobe Animate and social media self-promotion skills are a plus. The ideal candidate will also be an effective communicator and team player who can facilitate the smooth running of the program and facilities, develop cohesive strategies for growth and sustainability, develop student pathways to and through Cabrillo College towards career and transfer, fostering student success and creativity, and possibly providing program leadership as chair/co-chair of the department in the future.
Examples of tasks
- Teach assigned courses, which may include evening or off-campus homework
- Collaborate on participatory governance committees, processes and initiatives such as Guided Pathways
- Maintain accurate and timely records of student enrollment, attendance, and academic progress
- Provide academic assistance and related services to students during scheduled office hours.
- Demonstrate sensitivity and understanding of academic, socio-economic, cultural diversity, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty, and staff
- Work with the Dean of CTE and local education partners to create and update student pathways based on current labor market demand and local education partner schedule
- Complete required district trainings such as Title IX, Mandated Reporter, OEE/Diversity/Bias Elimination, Workplace Safety, etc.
- Contribute to facility and program planning, equipment management, ordering supplies, planning, developing programs, attending college meetings, and assisting with related job duties , as needed or assigned
- Communicate with staff and faculty in the areas of digital media and the arts regarding teaching integrity and health and safety protocols
- Research and develop curricula, certificates, and programs to align with growth areas of graphic design, web design, transfer pathways, and career preparation
- Develop interdisciplinary opportunities at Cabrillo
- Search for grants related to digital media and graphic design practice
- Develop partnerships with local high schools, universities, industry and community organizations
The candidate will be the second full-time faculty member in the Department of Digital Media and may be called upon to serve as Chair/Co-Chair of the Department. As Department Head, the candidate will, under the supervision of the Division Dean, perform the duties of Head which include, but are not limited to:
- Facilitate and lead meetings with the Digital Media Industry Advisory Board
- Work with the Dean of CTE to create new student pathways relevant to current labor market demand and local education partner program
- Program planning, including departmental budget oversight
- Develop and recommend course schedules and faculty assignments to the Dean
- Monitoring facility and program needs
- Coordinate the general operation of the department
- Curriculum development, review and evaluation
- Lead department meetings and assessment of student learning outcomes
Training required from an accredited organization recognized by the United States Department of Education and qualifications required for licensing:
Bachelor’s degree AND two (2) years of professional experience related to the subject of the course
Associate’s degree AND six (6) years of professional experience related to the subject of the course being taught
A California Community College Lifetime Instructor Diploma in Digital Media